Sunday, October 26, 2008

Some Call It Lazy, I Call It Resourceful

I am sitting at the UN base in Gonaives after a long couple of days. Next to me is Owen, typing away at his blog, updating everyone about what is going on. This made me feel bad about not wanting to write an update. So, instead of actually writing one that sounds exactly the same, I figured I would give a few highlights and then pass you on to Owen's post.

  • Before going all the way to Milot, we decided to visit some friends in Gonaives for a couple days and see the work they're doing. Our friends are from and organization called AMURT.
  • Left Pierre Payen and spent 2.5 hours driving to Gonaives.
  • Took a tour of the Gonaives area and saw the AMURT's facilities.
  • Drove another 2.5 hours to Sou Chod where the AMURT headquarters are.
  • Sou Chod is known for its mineral hot springs.
  • We did get to enjoy the hot water....first hot bath I've had in about 5 months.
  • Got to see the salt farming project that AMURT is helping the locals tackle.
  • Witnessed the Haitian town meeting...complete with yelling, fist throwing, machete threatening, shovel destroying, discussions.
  • Drove 2.25 hours back to Gonaives...that's a 15 minute faster return trip and half of it was in the dark.
Ok, I'll let Owen fill in the gaps: http://owenfitz.blogspot.com/2008/10/wild-wild-west.html

4 comments:

amanda said...

2 updates in less than 3 days! Yahooo!

Danny G said...

Ruple,

Your sweet blog inspired me to do a little updating. I didn't realize how tricky it was to get three columns!

Anyway, well, since I couldn't send you a DVD, I put up all the videos on Youtube. Feel free to check them out at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NamibiaQuest

Peace,
Danny G

Owen said...

Matt,

How can you just use me like this...channeling your visitors to my blog? Unbelievable, unexceptable, and unfair :). Oh, and if you look at all of Danny G's youtube videos, you'll exceed the allowed CWH bandwidth, and Chris won't make you homemade ice cream & papaya shakes for weeks! Just think about that.

Anonymous said...

It may have been resourceful originally, but now it's just plain lazy. Your stalkers need appeasing -- please tell us how your trip up north went!
Gramma Rolling (I'll be there in 2 weeks so shape up!)