Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Greetings from Ohio

I guess this brings the blog full-circle.  I started writing when I left for Haiti and now I am back.  However, I don't plan to stop writing, but simply switch gears into the next adventure.  I flew into Chicago on Saturday night where Nick and I met up with another roommate from college.  We stayed the night there and then I met my parents in Dayton on Sunday night and headed for home.

The past few days have been quite interesting trying to adjust to life here.  I know I spent most of my life in this society, but coming back after spending six months in Haiti makes me feel like a foreigner here as well.  I've become accustomed to life without hot water, without good roads, with unreliable electricity, and always being starred at wherever you go.  Parts of being back are great...but there are things I really miss from Haiti. I miss the simplicity of life there, the lack a pressure to be busy to appear important.  I miss my friends and the family I became a part of.  I miss the challenges of everyday life and seeing God work in so many people there.

I love the question, "So, how was Haiti?"  I get it all the time.  Sometimes I want to brush it off and say, "It was good and I'm glad I went, next question."  Sometimes I want to open the can of worms and say, "Honestly, it changed my life and I've had to reevaluate everything in my life and my walk with Christ."  I went to Haiti with so many questions, hoping to find some answers and more clarity, but what I've found is that I returned from Haiti with more questions than when I left.  There is so much that I have had to deal with and think through and wrestle with....part of me wants to say to people, "You will never understand what it was like, there is no way I can explain it, and if you really want to know, you need to buy a plane ticket and find out for yourself."  But then I think, that probably isn't the most productive thing to say and could be considered too coarse.  So, instead, I try to tell about the transformation of what happened to me there....I try to let God speak to them, to challenge them, to give them insight into how their life fits into His plan.

Alright, I'll stop ranting and get on with this post.  I've been putting off telling about what my next step is, mainly because I wanted to tell the people that it affected before I broadcast it on the Internet.  Now that I've been home I have been able to tell everyone, figured I might as well share it here.  I won't go into a lot of detail, but in June of 2009 I am going to be embarking on The World Race.  It is a year long mission trip that I'm very excited about and know it will provide some amazing opportunities.  If you want to learn more they have a great website:  http://www.theworldrace.org/


I am going to be sending out a letter to friends and family telling more about this opportunity.  I would love to send this to anyone interested and if you would like to receive the news/support letter just let me know.  You can post a comment on the blog or send me an email at:  mattruple@gmail.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, i know exactley how you feel trying to share about Haiti. Sometimes it is almost impossible for me to believe people say, tell me all about it. i have yet to ever describe the trips in detail. Do thet really want me to tell them of how i held a weeping mother in my arms after her child died from something as simple as diarhea? Do i tell them i have seen grown men figth over a bag of spilled rice? Do i tell them these trips are both the best and worst experiences i have ever been on? It is truly an honor and one of my greatest pleasures to be available to God in service. God instructed us all to go and teach. Some people will never take the oppurtunity to go. Matt how blessed are our lives because we did? Love Mama Noel

Unknown said...

we miss you too.

Anonymous said...

I second what Leslie wrote and I know the kids at Canaan miss you too! A couple of them have asked, 'where is Matt, you know the water guy?'