Thursday, December 11, 2008

Ready or Not...

In my previous post I mentioned how I've been waking up and not feeling rested.  Well, last week my body started to ache pretty badly and I also had a small fever.  It worked out pretty well because we needed to modify our filter design, so I was able to do a lot of work at the computer and take it easier than normal.  However, even while I was sitting at the computer I would get tired and have to take breaks and lie down for a while.  We didn't think it was malaria due to the symptoms, but I was keeping a close eye on it to make sure nothing got worse.

On Saturday, Bobi and I headed to Port to pick up our friends that were coming to visit.  Nick was the first to arrive.  Nick is one of my roommates from college and the guy I backpacked Europe with.  After getting Nick we ran a few errands and then ate a nice long leisurely lunch.  Afterwards, we headed back to the airport to get Bobi's two visitors and then headed home.  Their flight came in later in the day and we had to drive part of the way back in the dark.  If we have the option we don't like to drive too much after dark, but everything went fine and we all arrived safely.

Nick and I have been keeping busy with the usual activities here.  Church at Canaan, missionary meeting, hiking, snorkeling, a full day of filter deliveries and installations, and a checkup at the local hospital.....let me explain this last one.  I've been starting to feel better lately but still notice I just don't have the energy I usually do.  The conversation had come up before that I could go see a local doctor, but I figured I would just get over it eventually and I was willing to wait it out.  Someone mentioned waiting to go to a doctor when I get home and have a few test run to make sure nothing is wrong.  After thinking for a few seconds, I decided that there was no way I was going to a doctor when I back to the States. I don't have health insurance and if I was going to get tests done it would be here in Haiti where I can pay out of pocket for most things.  So, Nick and I spent most of Monday morning in the Pierre Payen hospital, where I had some blood drawn and tests run.  The verdict: no malaria....that's good....mild typhoid....that's not so good.  Long story short, I have some medicine that I'm hoping takes care of the typhoid and I should be good as new in a few days.

On another subject, I'm getting ready to leave Haiti for the first time in over six months and come home for the holidays.  The departure is better sweet.  I'm excited to see friends and family but will miss the friends and the life I've built here.  There is so much to write about this and about what is going to be happening in the future, but I'll have to save that for another time.

I don't like to leave a post without any pictures, so I put together the following photos.  They are of people that I've met in Haiti and each picture carries a story that reminds me a friends I've made here, friends that have come visit, and the lives that have been changed in the process.








No comments: