Friday, January 16, 2009

Dependence


Proverbs 30: 7-9
"Two things I ask of you, LORD;
       do not refuse me before I die:
  Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
       give me neither poverty nor riches,
       but give me only my daily bread.
  Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
       and say, 'Who is the LORD?'
  Or I may become poor and steal,
       and so dishonor the name of my God."
Hmmm....can I honestly pray that?  Can I say that I want only enough to sustain me? Only enough so I 'm constantly relying on God?  That's not what I hear in America.  It doesn't seem like we need God...or at least we don't act like we do.  Is it any wonder why?  We're conditioned to become independent, save for the future, become stable...and these things aren't bad, but let's not forget what part God plays in everything.  When these things cause us to disown or dishonor God, we've got a problem.

On another note, I put together some pictures of my time from Haiti....it may be a little long, but you can always watch it in segments.  Hope you enjoy.

8 comments:

amanda said...

:)
umm...i think i have the best brother in the entire world (ut oh, hope Greg doesn't read this or i could get myself in trouble :) )
sis

Unknown said...

Matt, that was amazing. It left me feeling all mushy and sentimental. I'm going to link to it because it's such a great summary of life here. You really got so much of it.

We miss you!

Team Heartline said...

Nice job Matt - what is the soundtrack? I really enjoyed the music, and your pictures.

amanda said...

Matt,
i am your blog stalker but you know this so no surprise for you if i comment 3 or 4 times about one blog post, right? i remembered you saying about a new title for your blog and yep, i think it is a very accurate summary of life right now for you so keep it...in transit...

Matt Ruple said...

Thanks for all the comments. The soundtrack for the movie is as follows:

- Rogue Wave "Salesman at the Day of the Parade"
- Chris Taylor "Come Around Again"
- The Decemberists "The Crane Wife"
- Tenth Avenue North "By Your Side"
- Paul Wright "You're Beautiful"

Kate Petach said...

Thanks for the blog entry. It really hits home right now with the current unstable economic climate and lack of job security right now for me. We've got more than enough and all I should be seeking is God's peace and discernment right now.

Miss you roomie.

mike powell said...

Great video. I could watch it again and again. Your livin the life. Lord bless you all. You're a real inspiration.

Anonymous said...

That was incredible Matt - you have an artistic eye. You captured the culture well! I think my favorite pic (besides the fun ones of us) was all the cell phones plugged in - so classic!

Anyway, we sure do miss you here!