Friday, June 13, 2008

Still Learning

On Wednesday, I finished grinding and welding the second door for the new dorm building. During the grinding process a piece of metal somehow found its way behind my safety glasses and into my eye. I can't find it in my eye, but it sure feels like something is in there. Oh well, it'll go away on its own....right? Also, when I was welding a piece of molten metal found its way onto my foot and burnt a small hole in my skin...that didn't feel very good either.

I also removed the filters from the mold and the picture below shows what we pulled out.

Yesterday and today I worked on a shelf and counter top for Chris and Leslie's kitchen. Chris doesn't like working with wood and I said that I didn't mind making it for them. This week is a little different than most because we don't have a lot of our Haitian workers, so production of filters is going slowly. Next week should be more of a normal work week though. Below is a picture of the shelf I built without the counter top.


Today, I went in to Saint Marc with Leslie to pick up groceries. Saint Marc is the closest town that has a grocery store....it is probably about 10 miles away, but it takes around 30-45 minutes to get into town depending on the traffic and the potholes you encounter along the way. On the way back, Leslie let me drive so that I can start to get more comfortable with the roads. We have two work trucks and a Volkswagen for trips when we aren't trying to haul supplies. I got to drive the smaller of the work trucks:



Today was also laundry day. Since our washing machine is broke, all of our clothes have to washed by hand....the way most Haitians do it. It will be nice to have everything clean again.


I've just finished the first full work week and I think things went pretty well. We are celebrating Leslie's birthday on Saturday and are expecting somewhere between 30 and 40 people to stop by. It should be fun and I'm Looking forward relaxing a little and meeting some new people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose the metal in your eye could make things exciting if you should ever need and MRI.

Welcome to Clean Water For Haiti Matt. It is good you are blogging because every day is so filled that it will be difficult to remember it all. I am enjoying reading your first impressions because what seems so shocking or amazing or even major yuck, will become part of your day to day landscape.

Have a wonderful time Matt, have you noticed the sound of the waves changes about 2 AM.

You have met Jabez, right. She is funny.

Blessings
Barb J

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it there safely bro. You and your mission are in my prayers.

Jason Winn