Monday, June 30, 2008

Time to Relax

The weekend here was pretty low key. Chris and Leslie went to Furcy to celebrate their anniversary. They left on Saturday morning and will be back sometime on Tuesday. I pretty much had the whole weekend to myself. I was going to go out with Dennis on his boat and there was talk of some of the people at Canaan coming over, but nothing really seemed to work out. I stayed around the house and just did a lot of reading, studied Creole, played guitar, and contemplated a lot of things in my mind.

On Saturday I decided to give myself a haircut. I had never tried before and I'm not sure about the results. I used clippers and put a guard on to get everything to the same length. Well, after going over my head quite a few times, I still was unable to get some spots in the back by my neck. I tried putting on a shorter guard and going at it that way. This worked great until the guard fell off. I took one swipe with no guard and felt a little too much hair being removed. I tried to even things out the best I could, but I have not idea if it worked. The good thing though is that I never see that side of my head.

On Sunday I did a load of laundry in the fixed washer, and it turned out pretty well. My clothes aren't stiff and all the interesting smells have been removed....that's a good thing. Being here alone makes me a little more cautious of things and whenever I hear a loud noise or people talking close by, I check things out and make sure I'm aware of what is going on....as best as I can.

I don't really have any new pictures from the weekend, but I feel like I should at least give you something to look at since a picture is worth a thousand words....right? While Ben was here we cut down a regime of bananas from the garden. We hung them up in the house and then waited for them to start to turn yellow. These are not like the bananas that are imported to the U.S. The ones here are typically shorter, fatter, and have a sweeter taste. Right now we are on the tail end; trying to eat as many as possible before they get too brown and we end up freezing them.

Chris, Leslie, and I admiring the bananas.

3 comments:

Kate Petach said...

Ha! At least you're not the only one to cut someone's hair too short...without the guard... :)

Anonymous said...

Matt, we want photos of your haircut, especially the back. How else can we all critique your efforts?

Barb

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're experiencing many firsts while there in Haiti... but that haircut one.... that's outta control! Send pictures soon! :)