Monday, June 23, 2008

A Visitor

We kept pretty busy this past weekend since we had Chris' brother Ben in town and wanted to make sure we did some fun things. A lot of the stuff we did made me feel like I wasn't even in Haiti. We experienced some of the nicest things here and sometimes I forgot where I was in Haiti....except that it was 95 degrees and the humidity was off the chart...that's pretty hard to forget.

On Saturday we visited a missionary friend, Heather, and her three kids. They rent a house and part of the deal is that they can use the pool that is on the property. We all headed to the pool and found it pretty busy, but still had a lot of fun. The water was probably close to 90 degrees Fahrenheit and didn't really cool us off any, but still felt better than being in the blazing sun. After that we visited Dennis, who works at the embassy. We had food and just sat outside and talked until we all got tired an headed home for bed.

On Sunday we went fishing with Dave and didn't catch a single thing....except a plastic bowl. It was extremely hot and we ended up swimming and trying to stay in as much shade since we were pretty crispy from being in the sun all morning on the boat.

Fishing

Later we went to Club Indigo and had a buffet style dinner. The food was very good and I ate more than I should have, but don't regret it at all. We woke up this morning and everyone was noticing how tired and soar we were. The heat and sun can take a lot out of you....it felt like I had done a very strenuous workout the day before.

Ben and Olivia

Accommodations At Club Indigo

2 comments:

Terri said...

Hi Matt,
I am thoroughly enjoying reading about your experiences! You have a great style of writing (okay, the English teacher in me is coming out), but really, it's fun to read. Keep up the good work and stay safe.
Terri (Melissa's mom)

Aaron said...

hey Ruple,

so i just found your blog(through dill), and it's been awesome to catch up on what you are doing in Haiti. I'm looking forward to seeing all the great things you will get to do. keep up the good work man, and remember that we're all praying for you.

Aaron

P.S. and this gives me one more thing to do while I'm at work! haha